And then the Earth trembled

Right about now, I was supposed to write about our wonderful rest day in Briddhim – about Dorje Lama and Tashi Lama’s superb hospitality, about the Dal Bhat we’ve helped cook, about the salad and omelet we’ve made on our own in their kitchen, and mainly about the Buddhist reincarnation ceremony – with people from all over the area, food, alcohol, singing, dancing till the morning, lots of comradeship and a feeling of community.

But all these events are shadowed by the next day and the events that followed it. I can only hope that as many of the people we’ve met those days are alive, safe and with their possessions intact. For too many of them, it’s probably not the case.

We’d left Briddhim in the morning and have arrived at Kanjim after an easy one-hour hike. A short tea break, and we move along towards Sherpagaun. For a significant part of that hike, I’ve been walking ahead, since my walking pace was quicker than Kumar and Elena’s. I don’t know what would’ve happened if I hadn’t stopped to wait for them.
It was just another hike, with a steep forested slope above and beneath us, a narrow road in the middle, a river at the bottom of the slope, and a matching mountain on the other side. Classic Nepal landscape.

And then the Earth trembled.

Everything was trembling, and ‘trembling’ does not describe it well enough. My memory of the first few seconds is foggy, but I do remember Kumar and Elena shouting in alarm, and the long time (it may have been just a second, but it felt like forever) it took me to come to my senses and realize what’s going on. I took a few steps back and joined them on the ground, waiting for the tremors to pass.
Ever since I’ve been rescued, many have asked me what that first earthquake felt like. I can’t properly describe it. Well, have you seen earthquakes in the movies? So that’s what it’s like. I can’t imagine a stronger earthquake, and I don’t want to imagine what it felt like in the epicenter.

After the tremors had started, the mountain on the other side of the river has begun to crumble. Well, it’s not like the whole mountain just fell apart, but there were many landslides. The sounds of the falling rocks merged with the sounds of the earth moving, and in a short while the air was filled with dust and it wasn’t possible to see the mountain on the other side anymore. With each rock falling, I was thinking about the villages on that mountainside and down by the river.
Kumar was panicking, and Elena, already used to Iranian earthquakes, tried to calm him down. When the earthquake had finally stopped, he immediately wanted to get up and continue walking, but we had to explain that aftershocks will soon come and we need to sit tight and wait for them to pass. And that’s exactly what happened.
A few minutes later, when we felt that it’s over for now, we got up and decided to keep walking towards Sherpagaun, since it was the nearest settlement. On the way we’ve passed by stray cows, one of them limping with a leg injury.
We were thinking that once we reach Sherpagaun we could find out what’s going on up the road and whether it’s possible to keep on hiking up the Langtang trail. It seems so absurd now. We haven’t realized the gravity of the situation.

Five minutes later, we stumbled upon Katy and Itien (I have no idea how to properly spell his name), an American-French couple whom we’ve met a few times along the trek. With them was Tomas, a Czech doctor (because IF you get stuck in the mountains during an earthquake, you better have an orthopedic trauma surgeon with you). Katy’s face told us much of the story – something was definitely wrong. Apparently, from there on the forest has ended, and instead of it the road continued along a stony and cliffy terrain, where a big landslide had occurred just a few minutes before. Lucky for them, they were about a hundred meters before the cliff. And that was the moment I’ve realized what would probably have happened if I hadn’t been waiting for Kumar and Elena.

We decided to turn back and hike till Kanjim, where we assumed it would be safer due to the forested and cliffless terrain above the village.  On the way back we’ve started to realize the gravity of the situation – the road was filled with cracks in the ground and fallen rocks that definitely weren’t there the first time we’ve passed. We were so lucky to have been in that forest during the earthquake, and to have stayed a day in Briddhim – otherwise we would’ve been farther along the road and in higher altitudes, and the situation in those places was, as we would find out later, much worse, to say the least.

During the whole hike back I’ve felt the ground shaking beneath my feet. I’ve lost the natural sense of stability we all have, lost the ‘understanding’ that the ground is stable and unmoving. I’ve kept imagining additional earthquakes and may have been shaking independently. It was difficult to make the distinction. A few days later, on my way to Kathmandu, I was trying to explain it to my sister as we were speaking on the phone. She asked me if it feels like when a motorbike speeds next to you and for a moment you think it’s a missile siren, urging you to flee to the bomb shelter. That’s exactly it. Now that I think of it, if you don’t live in a war zone you probably wouldn’t get the similarity…

We reached Kanjim after hiking for about half an hour. Outside the top guesthouse were frightened locals sitting on the ground in groups, and Erik and Juliette, our Dutch friends whom we’ve met in Briddhim (actually, they have stayed longer in Briddhim only because Erik had forgotten his head torch in the previous village and went back to get it while Julliete has waited in Briddhim. He probably really likes that torch now…). We’ve decided to settle in, or rather settle out. The weather was cold and cloudy, and later on rainy as well. A gloomy and appropriate set for the situation. No electricity, no mobile signal. Kumar (the only one around with mobile signal, because he had a different cell operator) was busy with making endless calls in order to find out the fate of his wife and five kids in Kathmandu. It’s been hours until he was finally sure that they are all alright, but then he’d received the dark tidings – his little niece is probably buried under ruins in his village.

News were slowly being gathered – destruction in Kathmandu and Bhaktapur, and the earthquake was 7.8 on Richter scale. Suddenly this whole thing didn’t seem like a local occurrence anymore, but a whole country’s humanitarian disaster, and this country has already been one of the poorest to begin with.

In our first few hours in Kanjim we were mainly trying to figure out what’s going on, and send some signal to our families, to let them know we’re alive and well. The thought that my parents know I’m in the middle of natural disaster and have no idea whether I’ve even survived has made me far more nervous than the situation itself has. Eventually we’ve managed to send an SMS containing our parents’ email addresses to Juliette’s parents, and the message that we’re alive and well has reached them.

Tashi Lama (that’s a different one, mind you), the guesthouse owner that has been hosting us in his yard, was very calm when he’d accepted us in (again, technically it wasn’t ‘in’), about half an hour after the first earthquake. A few hours later I was astounded to see his wife showing up on the Sherpagaun road, crying her heart out and talking on and on about the destruction. I have no idea how he’s managed to keep calm and host us so graciously while not being sure about his wife’s fate.

At dusk Tashi’s cooked Dal Bhat for everyone and gave us a huge plastic sheet and mattresses so we can make a rain shelter for the night. Sleeping indoors was out of the question. That night was, without a doubt, the scariest night of my life – we’re in complete darkness, inside a cloud, sleeping in a makeshift shelter made out of tables, benches, and the mattresses and plastic sheet. Total silence. And then, once in a while, the Earth trembles again. It’s usually not a strong tremor, but once, at about 23:30, there was a strong one.   The following day, we’ve found out it was 6.1 on Richter scale. But anyway, the worst that night were the tremendous boom noises, every time rocks were falling in a landslide down the mountains around us, and we had no way to see anything. We just lay flat on our backs in total silence, listening to the landslides and imagining houses being ruined this very moment.

Morning. Tomas surprises us all by taking a salami and parmesan out of his backpack, original ones out of Austria. What an unexpected pleasure. While I’m indulging myself, a group of about 30 tourists and guides show up on the Sherpagaun road. These are all the people that were in Sherpagaun, and their stories are far more horrible than ours – destroyed houses, landslides, one big mess. One of them is wounded, his head injury bandaged but dirty. Tomas opens up a tiny field hospital, cleans up his wound, stitches it and redresses it.

The helicopters passing us by on their way to and from Langtang valley are many that morning, as well as in the following days. You may think that it’s very frustrating to sit and watch them pass by and not land, but for me it was a comfort. Those choppers were practically my only connection to the outside world, some kind of proof that something is being done, that the world hasn’t stopped and that eventually we’ll get out of here.

The days have passed, the tremors went on with decreasing strength and frequency, the landslides around us went on as well, and the helicopters kept on flying towards Langtang valley. The firsthand and secondhand testimonies kept on coming – two dead in Lingling, one in Briddhim, ten in Timure, the Nepal-Tibet border crossing is ruined, and the most shaking piece of news: an avalanche literally buried Langtang village. Hundreds are dead and the village just no longer exists.

It took Elena & me some time, but eventually we’ve realized there’s no reason for Kumar to stay with us – we have no use for a porter, and there’s no reason he’d sit here with us while he can hike to his village, just a day’s hike, and see what’s become of his birthplace and extended family. Until the moment we’ve ‘released’ him, he said nothing, asked for nothing, only kept asking us every day what’s our next step, while his niece is buried under the ruins of a house. It took us too long to realize the obvious fact, that his place is no longer with us. Even once we’ve told him he can go, he didn’t forget his duty and called his boss, wonderful Harry, to verify that he can go.

Tuesday afternoon in Kanjim brought a short thunderstorm with it. Clear weather followed it and we could finally see the mountains and snowy peaks. How can you possibly fathom the contrast between the beauty of the mountains, terraces, hills, fresh snow on the peaks, and the destruction of the landslides and ruined roads, combined with the knowledge that each village decorating the view (many of them we’ve passed the week before) probably has ruined houses, wounded and even dead.
And the sunset is still beautiful. Nature moves on and we’re nothing – the snow falls, the sun sets and the Earth trembles. As the Nepalis like to say – Ke Garne? – What to do?

One day, a group of young Nepalis showed up on the Sherpagaun road. They had had a long hike from Langtang village and have stopped to take a rest in Kanjim, getting ready for the rest of their journey to Kathmandu by foot. Something didn’t quite add up, and their peculiar story about Israelis looting villages, arrested by the army and sent back up the road to their doom didn’t make a lot of sense. And if that’s not enough, they’ve claimed the soldiers had taken all their money and they’re unable to pay for food and drinks. Tashi’s told me the story about the Israelis only after they’d gone. Looters or not, the possibility that somewhere there are lost people that can’t save themselves and no one knows their whereabouts bothered me, to say the least. The fact they were Israelis has only made it easier for me to get help. Lucky for me, the Nepalis have stopped by the tents below us, so I went down to get more details from one of the English-speaking fellows. When I asked him about it, he’d denied it vehemently and has fled the scene. Very suspicious. That’s led us to the conclusion that the whole story had been fabricated. After they’d left, I’ve been told they’d been fighting amongst themselves due to a disagreement about an ownership of a trekking pole. A day later I’ve found out that one of my trekking poles is missing, and that has completed the puzzle for me. Even in the midst of the toughest situations there would be people taking advantage of others and hurting them.

Later that day, another group of Nepalis suddenly appeared. They came from Langtang village, and the difference between the groups was clear. These ones weren’t vigorous, but broken. They told us they’ve been walking from Langtang for two days now, sleeping outside in the cold snow, without food. Some of them were Nepali guides whose tourist clients have been evacuated by helicopters. They’ve been practically left behind to die.
One of them showed us a video taken in what used to be Langtang village – piles of snow, wood planks and stones, and one man crying after having lost his wife, children and home.
That gloomy night we dared to sit for dinner inside the guesthouse, we felt relatively safe. Everyone’s mood was down, after hearing the Nepalis’ stories. At one point we ordered Raksi (local alcohol), and somehow we found ourselves sitting in the dark by candlelight, with Erik singing Bob Marley and Elena, with a surprising clear voice, singing Iranian songs, originally sung to her by her mother in her childhood. Somehow we’ve turned our mood around, in spite of everything.
Just as we were heading to ‘bed’, one of the Nepalis came out of the kitchen hut, where they were all eating dinner, and invited us to sit with them by the fire, with those people who’ve just escaped a cold hell, have just witnessed horrors and may have lost everything. We sat with them, drank, sang (in Nepali, Persian and English), talked and laughed, in spite of everything.

All these days were busy with various attempts and false promises to send us a helicopter. Everybody were involved – US, Dutch, French and Czech embassies, Swissa agency, Chabad House, Israeli rescue teams and the manager of one of Kathmandu’s biggest agencies (and a friend of Tomas), that owns two helicopters.
One afternoon something unbelievable occurred – a helicopter started passing us by, as usual, and then, instead of moving on, has landed on the improvised helipad that’s been made by Tomas, Rae and Spencer. Spencer, Rae, Katy and Itien, who were accidentally packed and ready, went on the helicopter. The helicopter, in turn, has took off with two vacant seats, because no one else had been there at the moment. The pilot, so I’ve been told, was very unhappy about it and said he won’t come back for us, and report he’d rescued everyone. But I didn’t know that at the time.

That evening, as were just about to start dinner, a Nepali man had arrived from Langtang, with an enormous gash in his chin. It might as well have been a piece missing off his chin. It was big and deep. Two tables were joined together, a mattress placed on them, head torches and first aid kit at the ready, and suddenly Tomas is operating, improvising with what equipment he has available. A local anesthetic shot, a cleaning of the dirt (the gash was two days old), and then comes the disinfection phase. Tomas asks me to fill the syringe with Betadine (like Iodine, as far as I understand) and come stand next to him. Suddenly, instead of taking the syringe, he wants me to spray the Betadine straight on the open gash. I still can’t believe it has actually happened, that I stood there and did it with steady hands. I think that at that moment I’ve just stopped thinking about everything around me. The mission was to spray the dark fluid in the right places and the right amount, and around it there definitely wasn’t a person shuddering with pain.
During the operation, the patient’s two boys were present in the room, along with some family members and neighbors that came to watch, support, or just be horrified. The big boy, maybe 7 or 8 years old, was fascinated by the whole process. He stood next to Tomas with his own torch, so he could see more clearly what was going on. The little one, maybe two years old, was old enough to realize he doesn’t like whatever it is. He cried and just went crazy and wild, and the locals around didn’t seem to think that the fact he’s witnessing his father being operated on and shuddering with pain has anything to do with it. The only one who had realized the situation was Tashi, who took him outside.

The following day, we woke up to a clear morning with a beautiful view, and to knowing that today we’d probably be rescued. If one helicopter came yesterday, more will come today. Won’t they?
Quickly enough, we found out the answer is ‘no’. Once we’ve started making some calls, we found out that everyone is surprised we’re still there, stranded in the mountains. Why, a helicopter has already been here yesterday. All this day’s phone calls and discussions turned out to be pointless the moment the Nepali army has finally arrived at Kanjim. Tomas and I went down to meet the soldiers, who looked pretty surprised to see us. We explained our situation – Tomas getting angry, and me trying to be the voice of calm and reason. Without hesitating for a moment, the force’s commander told us to be in the helipad in 20 minutes.

We were all there in 20 minutes, obviously. Together with us were a few locals, including Tomas’ patient from the night before. The helicopter has arrived after two hours, not 20 minutes, but who cares?
Well, I’ve told you earthquakes are like in the movies. A helicopter’s landing and takeoff is the same deal – the chaos, noise, and wind are all there.
Suddenly, Elena, Erik, Juliette and I are inside the helicopter, and in two minutes we’re already in Dunche. Once we’ve arrived there, we made sure that another helicopter is sent for Tomas (whose stubbornness and resourcefulness probably contributed a great deal to the fact we’ve been finally rescued) and the others.

Once one if the Nepalis in charge has discovered I’m Tom from Israel, he was very surprised. He’s been looking for me in Dunch for the whole morning, and my helicopter to Kathmandu has apparently left just five minutes ago. Why haven’t I come ? Hmm, I wonder why. 15 Minutes later, the second helicopter arrived from Kanjim, with Tomas and the others. Suddenly, I found myself being hoisted inside (this time at the front!), while Elena, Erik and Juliette have been left behind in Dunche. This time, without bags and people blocking my view, I could clearly see my surroundings. Besides the fact it’s so cool and beautiful, it was unnerving to pass above small villages and notice that there are a few collapsed houses in each of them. Ten minutes and we’re landing in Trisuli. Plateau.
It was clear to me that right now my mission is to talk to anyone who’ll listen and nudge them to bring my friends from Dunche right now. After a short while, we’ve been sat in a van to Kathmandu. To my great relief, Elena, Erik and Juliette have arrived on a second helicopter and have joined us on the van.

We’re heading towards Kathmandu, it’s after sunset, and I’m using the end of my mobile’s battery to speak with my family properly for the first time in six days. According to my family, the Israeli rescue teams and insurance companies have notified them about my rescue a few hours before it had actually happened. While speaking with Lee, my sister, I cannot abstain from exclaiming when we pass through the earthquake’s epicenter: whole villages totally ruined, only a few walls left. My heart is broken again and again and again over Nepal’s cruel fate, but these moments were the highlight of it. So many tents.

Kathmandu. Oh, how many nightmares we’ve had when imagining earthquake-stuck Kathmandu – no water, diseases, looters, everything ruined…
While passing through the city for the first time after the earthquake, I could occasionally see broken houses, but not anything even close to the destruction at the epicenter. The Thamel hasn’t changed too much, but most of the shops are closed, the music is gone, the tourists are gone as well, and most of the menu items in the restaurants are unavailable.
Even now, a whole day after being rescued, I’m still having a hard time grasping the events of the last days, and the fact that I’m no longer there.

While the days have passed we’ve had ample opportunities to ponder about our travels onwards. Even before I’ve reached Kathmandu, it’s become clear to me that I won’t be going to China and Mongolia as planned. So what am I gonna do? When I was still in Kanjim, I’ve had a burning need to stay in Nepal and help, to do something to make it a little bit better for these poor people, maybe through Tevel BeTzedek.
When we woke up for another minor earthquake, this time in Kathmandu, inside a building, I’ve finally reached a decision.
The last day was full of inquiries and mainly exhaustion and a strange mood I can’t even describe.
Elena had made her decision, and this morning we’ve said goodbye, and she left for the airport, towards a flight back home, to Holland. It was hard to say goodbye.
It’s been a few hours since I’ve got my ticket home, for tomorrow noon. While writing this, I’m still having a hard time grasping what’s going to happen. I can’t stay here, nor travel anywhere else, nor be anywhere that’s not home, and still, I can’t grasp the fact that this journey is about to come to an end, and that in less than 48 hours I’ll be coming home. These are going to be some very weird times for me, and it’ll take a while to fully come to terms with it. I really hope I won’t regret this decision.
Meanwhile, it’s time to start getting up to date on upcoming concert dates.

הייתי אמור לכתוב עכשיו על המנוחה הנפלאה שלנו בברידהים – על האירוח הנפלא של דורג’ה לאמה וטאשי לאמה, על הדאל באט שעזרנו להם לבשל, על הסלט והחביתה שהכנו לבד במטבח שלהם בערב, ובעיקר על טקס גלגול הנשמות, בהשתתפות כל אנשי האזור, עם אוכל, אלכוהול, שירים וריקודים עד הבוקר, והרבה קהילתיות ואחווה הדדית.

אבל כל האירועים האלה מואפלים ע”י היום שלמחרת וכל מה שבא אחריו. נותר לי רק לקוות שכמה שיותר מהאנשים שהיו שם חיים, בטוחים ועם בתים לא הרוסים. סביר שעבור רבים מהם זה לא המצב.

יצאנו בבוקר מברידהים ואחרי הליכה קלילה של כשעה הגענו לקנג’ים. תה וממשיכים הלאה לכיוון שרפגאו. חלק גדול מההליכה הזו הלכתי מקדימה לבד, בקצב מהיר יותר. אני לא יודע מה היה קורה אם לא הייתי עוצר כדי לחכות לאליינה וקומאר.

זו הייתה עוד הליכה רגילה כשמעלינו ומתחתינו עצים במדרון תלול עם שביל באמצע, נהר למטה והר מקביל מעברו השני של הנהר. נוף קלאסי של נפאל.

ואז האדמה רעדה.

הכל רעד, ורעד זו לא מילה שמתארת את זה מספיק טוב. בשניות הראשונות אני זוכר את הצעקות של אליינה וקומאר, ואת הזמן הרב (אולי זו הייתה שניה, אבל זה הרגיש נצח) שלקח לי להתעשת, לצאת מההלם הראשוני ולהבין מה קורה. כמה צעדים אחורה והגעתי אליהם והתיישבתי ביחד איתם על השביל, מחכים שזה יעבור.

מאז שיצאתי משם הרבה שאלו אותי איך הייתה הרעידה הזאת, הראשונה. אני לא יודע להסביר את זה. נכון רעידות אדמה בסרטים? אז ככה. אני לא מסוגל לדמיין רעידת אדמה יותר חזקה מזאת, אני לא רוצה לדמיין מה היה במוקד הרעש.

אחרי שהרעידות התחילו, ההר שמולנו התחיל ליפול. לא שכל ההר נפל, אבל היו מפולות סלעים רבות. רעשי הנפילות התמזגו עם רעשי הרעידות. תוך זמן קצר האוויר התמלא באבק ולא ניתן היה לראות יותר את ההר שמולנו. עם כל סלע שנפל חשבתי על הכפרים שעל צלע ההר ועל הכפרים שבעמק, לצד הנהר.

קומאר היה בפניקה מוחלטת, ואליינה, למודת רעידות אדמה חזקות מאירן, הרגיעה אותו. כשהרעידה נגמרה הוא רצה לקום מיד ולהמשיך ללכת, והסברנו לו שיגיעו עוד רעידות ושצריך לשבת במקום, מה שאכן קרה.

אחרי כמה דקות, כשהרגשנו שזה נגמר לבינתיים, קמנו והחלטנו להמשיך לכיוון שרפגאו, כי היינו קרובים יותר לשם. חלפנו בדרך על פני כמה עדרי פרות חסרות רועים, כולל פרה אחת צולעת, פצועה ברגלה.

חשבנו שנגיע לשרפגאו ושם נוכל לברר עוד מידע על תקינות השביל בהמשך, על המשפחה של קומאר בקטמנדו ובכפר שלו. זה נראה לי כ”כ מגוחך עכשיו. לא הבנו את חומרת המצב.

אחרי כמה דקות הליכה פגשנו את קטי האמריקאית ובעלה איתיאן הצרפתי, אותם הכרנו כבר מהימים שלפני בטרק, ואת תומאס, רופא צ’כי (כי אם כבר אתה תקוע בהרים ברעידת אדמה, עדיף שיהיה לידך מנתח טראומה אורטופדי). הפרצוף של קטי כבר שידר לנו שמשהו לא בסדר. בהמשך השביל היער נגמר והתחלף בצוק סלעי, ומסתבר שבזמן הרעידה הייתה שם מפולת רצינית. למזלם הם היו שתי דקות לפני הצוק (וזה הרגע שבו הבנתי מה היה קורה אם לא הייתי עוצר לחכות לאליינה וקומאר).

החלטנו לחזור אחורה לקנג’ים, שם הנחנו שיהיה בטוח יותר כי יותר מיוער ופחות סלעי. בדרך חזרה התחלנו להבין כמה רציני זה היה – סדקים באדמה, סלעים על השביל שנפלו מלמעלה. כמה מזל היה לנו שהיינו בדיוק ביער הזה, ושנשארנו לנוח יום בברידהים – אחרת היינו במקום גבוה יותר בהמשך השביל, ומצבם של המקומות הללו, כך גילינו מאוחר יותר, היה לא טוב בכלל, בלשון המעטה.

במשך כל ההליכה הזאת הרגשתי את האדמה רועדת. איבדתי את תחושת היציבות הטבעית שיש לנו, את הידיעה שהאדמה יציבה ולא זזה, דמיינתי רעידות ללא הפסקה ואולי גם רעדתי בעצמי. היה קשה לעשות את ההבחנה. כמה ימים לאחר מכן, בדרך לקטמנדו, ניסיתי להסביר את זה לאחותי כשדיברנו בטלפון. היא שאלה אם זה כמו ששומעים אזעקת טילים כל פעם שהאופנוע מאיץ חולף על פניך. מדוייק.

אחרי כחצי שעה הליכה הגענו חזרה לקנג’ים. מחוץ לגסטהאוס העליון בכפר מצאנו מקומיים עם פנים מפוחדות יושבים על הרצפה בחבורה, ואת אריק וג’ולייט ההולנדים שהכרנו בברידהים (למעשה, הם נשארו בברידהים כי אריק שכח את הפנס שלו בכפר הקודם והלך להביא אותו. הוא מאוד אוהב את הפנס הזה עכשיו…). החלטנו להתמקם. מזג האוויר היה קריר ומעונן ובהמשך גם גשום. תפאורה קודרת והולמת, ללא ספק. אין חשמל, אין קליטה סלולרית. קומאר (היחידי עם קליטה כי הוא בחברה אחרת) היה בשיחות אינסופיות כדי לנסות להבין מה עלה בגורל אשתו וחמשת ילדיו בקטמנדו. שעות ארוכות עברו עד שהוא ידע שכולם בטוחים, ואז הוא קיבל את הידיעה שהאחיינית שלו כנראה קבורה מתחת להריסות בכפר שלו.

הדיווחים התחילו לטפטף – הרס בקטמנדו ובקטפור, הרעידה הייתה 7.8 בסולם ריכטר (!!!). פתאום זה לא משהו מקומי, אלא אסון הומניטרי של מדינה שלמה, שכבר הייתה מהעניות בעולם מלכתחילה.

בשעות הראשונות שלנו בקנג’ים בעיקר ניסינו להבין מה קורה, ולשלוח אותות חיים להורים. המחשבה שההורים שלי יודעים שאני נמצא בלב אסון הומניטרי ולא יודעים מה קורה איתי הלחיצה אותי הרבה יותר מהמצב עצמו. בסופו של דבר הצלחנו לשלוח דרך ג’ולייט הודעה עם מיילים של ההורים, וההודעה שאנחנו בסדר הגיעה אליהם.

טאשי לאמה, בעל הגסטהאוס שאירח אותנו בשטחו, היה מאוד רגוע כשהוא קיבל אותנו, חצי שעה אחרי רעידת האדמה. כמה שעות לאחר מכן נדהמתי לראות את אשתו מגיעה בוכה מכיוון שרפגאו ומספרת על ההרס. איך הוא הצליח לארח אותנו ככה כשהוא לא יודע מה עלה בגורל אשתו – אין לי מושג.

לקראת ערב טאשי הכין לכולנו דאל באט וסידר לנו כיסוי פלסטיק מפני הגשם ומזרונים כדי לישון בחוץ. הלילה הזה היה המפחיד בחיי – מסביב חושך מוחלט, אנחנו בתוך ענן, ישנים בחוץ בתוך אוהל מאולתר משולחנות, ספסלים, מזרונים ויריעת פלסטיק, שקט מוחלט. ומדי פעם האדמה רועדת. בדרך כלל זה מאוד חלש, פעם אחת, ב23:30 בלילה, זה היה די חזק, ולמחרת התברר שזו הייתה רעידת אדמה בעוצמה 6.1. והכי גרוע – הבומים העצומים של מפולות הסלעים בהרים שממול בלי שום יכולת לראות אותן. פשוט לשכב בשקט מוחלט, להקשיב למפולות, ולדמיין את הבתים שאולי נהרסים ברגעים אלה ממש.

בוקר. תומאס הגאון שולף מהתיק שלו נקניק סלאמי שלם וגוש גבינת פרמזן, היישר מאוסטריה. תענוג. בזמן שאנחנו מתענגים על המעדנים הלא צפויים האלה, חבורה של כ30 תיירים ומדריכים מגיחה מכיוון שרפגאו. אלה כל האנשים שהיו בשרפגאו והיישוב שאחריו, והסיפורים שלהם הרבה יותר קשים משלנו – בתים הרוסים, מפולות, בלגאן. אחד מהם עם פצע חבוש ומלוכלך בראש. תומאס פתח בי”ח שדה קטן, ניקה לו את הפצע, תפר וחבש מחדש.

המסוקים שעברו לידנו אל ומעמק הלאנגטאנג היו רבים באותו הבוקר, ובכל הימים שאחריו. אולי המחשבה הראשונית שעולה היא שזה נורא מתסכל לראות עשרות מסוקים מגיעים קרוב אליך או חולפים על פניך ולא נוחתים, אבל אותי זה ניחם. המסוקים האלו היו הקשר הכמעט יחידי שלנו לעולם החיצון, ההוכחה שמשהו קורה, שהעולם לא עצר מלכת ושבסוף נצא מפה.

הימים עברו, הרעידות המשיכו בעוצמה נמוכה ותדירות פוחתת, המפולות מסביבנו המשיכו גם הן, והמסוקים המשיכו לטוס לכיוון לאנגטאנג. העדויות (ממקור ראשון או שני) התרבו – שניים מתים בלינגלינג, אחד בברידהים, עשרה בטימורה, מעבר הגבול לטיבט נחרב, והמזעזע מכולם – מפולת שלגים קברה את הכפר לאנגטאנג. מאות הרוגים והכפר אינו קיים יותר.

בשלב מסויים לי ולאליינה נפל האסימון שאין שום סיבה שקומאר ישאר איתנו, אין לנו צורך בפורטר ואין שום סיבה שהוא ישב איתנו בזמן שהוא יכול ללכת לכפר שלו, במרחק יום הליכה, ולראות מה עלה בגורל המשפחה המורחבת שלו. עד הרגע שבו אמרנו לו שהוא יכול ללכת ושאנחנו נסתדר הוא לא פצה פה, לא ביקש כלום, רק שאל מה אנחנו רוצים לעשות, בזמן שאחיינית שלו קבורה מתחת להריסות. לקח לנו יותר מדי זמן להבין את המובן מאליו, שמקומו לא איתנו. גם כששיחררנו אותו הוא לא שכח את החובה שלו, והתקשר לדווח ולוודא עם הארי, הבוס הנהדר שלו.

אחה”צ של היום השלישי בקנג’ים הביאו איתו סופת רעמים קצרה, שאחריה הכל התבהר וההרים נגלו בפנינו. איך אפשר לעכל את הניגוד שבין היופי של ההרים, הטרסות, הגבעות והשלג הטרי שבפסגות, לעומת המפולות, הדרכים ההרוסות והידיעה שבכל הכפרים שמקשטים את הנוף (כל הכפרים בהם ביקרנו בימים האחרונים) יש בתים הרוסים וברבים מהם גם הרוגים ופצועים.

והשקיעה עדיין מהממת ביופיה. הטבע ממשיך בשלו ואנחנו אפסיים – השלג יורד, השמש שוקעת והאדמה רועדת. איך הנפאלים אוהבים להגיד – קה גרנה (מה לעשות).

באחד הימים הגיעו חבורה של נפאלים צעירים אחרי הליכה ארוכה מכיוון לאנגטאנג ועצרו להתאוששות, לקראת המשך ההליכה שלהם לכיוון קטמנדו. משהו בהם לא כ”כ הסתדר, והסיפור המשונה שלהם על ישראלים שבזזו כפרים, נעצרו ע”י הצבא ונשלחו חזרה במעלה השביל לכיוון התופת לא תרם לזה, בנוסף לעובדה שטענו שהצבא לקח להם את כל הכסף ואין באפשרותם לשלם על האוכל והשתיה. את הסיפור על הישראלים שמעתי מטאשי בדיעבד אחרי שכבר ירדו למטה. בוזזים או לא, האפשרות שתקועים שם אנשים שאף אחד לא יודע עליהם ללא אפשרות להציל את עצמם לא נתנה לי מנוח, במיוחד לאור העובדה שהם ישראלים, מה שנתן לי אפשרות להזעיק אליהם עזרה יחסית בקלות. ירדתי למטה לכיוון חבורת הנפאלים, שלמזלי עצרה במאהל אחר, וניגשתי אל דובר האנגלית מביניהם. כששאלתי אותו על הסיפור ההוא הוא הכחיש במהירות מחשידה והלך, וכך הבנו שהם בדו את כל העניין. אחרי שהם עזבו שמענו שהם הלכו ביניהם מכות עקב מחלוקת על בעלות על אחד ממקלות ההליכה שלהם. יום לאחר מכן גיליתי שאחד ממקלות ההליכה שלי נעלם, והכל התחבר לתמונה ברורה. גם במצבים הכי קשים תמיד יהיו אנשים שינצלו את המצב ויפגעו באחרים.

מאוחר יותר באותו היום הגיעו עוד חבורה של נפאלים מכייון לאנגטאנג, וההבדל בין החבורות היה ברור. אלו לא היו נמרצים, אלא מותשים, אנשים שבורים. הם סיפרו לנו שהלכו במשך יומיים מהכפר לאנגטאנג, שישנו בחוץ בשלג ולא אכלו יומיים, שחלקם הם מדריכים נפאלים שלקוחותיהם הזרים חולצו במסוקים ונטשו אותם למות. פרקטיקלי.
אחד מהם הראה לנו סרטון שצילם ממה שהיה פעם לאנגטאנג – ערימות של שלג, קרשים ואבנים, ובן אדם שבוכה לאחר שאיבד את אשתו, ילדיו וביתו.

בערב הקודר ההוא ישבנו לארוחת ערב כבר בתוך הגסטהאוס, הרגשנו בטוחים יחסית. מצב הרוח של כולם היה ירוד במיוחד, אחרי הסיפורים של הנפאלים. בשלב מסוים הזמנו ראקסי (אלכוהול מקומי), ואיכשהו זה התגלגל לישיבה לאור הנר, כשאריק שר בוב מארלי ואליינה, עם קול צלול ומפתיע, שרה שירים אירנים מדהימים שאמא שלה שרה לה בילדותה. איכשהו הצלחנו להפוך את מצב הרוח למרות הכל.

רגע לפני שהלכנו לישון, אחד הנפאלים יצא מהבקתה בה הם ישבו לאכול ארוחת ערב והזמין אותנו להצטרף. ישבנו שם איתם מול האש, עם האנשים האלה שהרגע יצאו מהתופת והקור, ראו זוועות ואולי איבדו הכל. ישבנו איתם, שתינו, שרנו (בנפאלית, פרסית ואנגלית), דיברנו וצחקנו, למרות הכל.

לאורך כל הימים האלה נעשו נסיונות לשלוח אלינו חילוץ מכל מיני כיוונים שונים – שגרירויות ארה”ב, הולנד, צרפת וצ’כיה, סוכנות סוויסה, בית חבד, צוותי החילוץ הישראלים, והמנהל של אחת מהסוכנויות הגדולות בקטמנדו שהיה חבר טוב של תומאס (ובעל שני מסוקים פרטיים).

אחה”צ אחד קרה הלא יאמן, ואחד המסוקים החל להתקרב אלינו יותר, ופתאום נחת במנחת המאולתר שהוכן כמה שעות לפני כן ע”י תומאס וספנסר וריי, זוג אמריקאים שישן באותו הכפר. ספנסר, ריי, קאטי ואיתיאן, שהיו במקרה ארוזים ומוכנים, עלו על המסוק, שהמריא והתרחק עם שני מקומות פנויים, כי אף אחד אחר לא הגיע מספיק מהר. הטייס, לפי מה שסיפרו לי, היה מאוד לא מרוצה מזה ואמר שלא יחזור, שיגיד שהוא חילץ את כולם. אבל את זה ידעתי רק בדיעבד.

באותו הערב, רגע לפני שישבנו לאכול, הגיע לגסטהאוס גבר נפאלי שהרגע הגיע מכיוון לאנגטאנג, עם פצע עצום בסנטר. אולי אפשר לקרוא לזה חתיכה חסרה בסנטר. זה היה עצום ועמוק. שני שולחנות חוברו, מזרון הונח עליהם, פנסי ראש וערכות עזרה ראשונה בהיכון, ופתאום תומאס מנתח אותו, מאלתר עם מה שיש. זריקת הרדמה מקומית, ניקוי הלכלוך (פצע בן יומיים), ואז מגיע שלב החיטוי. תומאס מבקש ממני לשים במזרק בטאדין (כמו יוד למיטב הבנתי) ולבוא אליו. פתאום, במקום לקחת אליו את המזרק, הוא רוצה שאני אשפריץ את הבטאדין לתוך הפצע הפתוח. עדיין קשה לי להאמין שזה קרה, ושעמדתי שם ועשיתי את זה עם ידיים יציבות. אני חושב שבאותו הרגע פשוט הפסקתי לחשוב על כל מה שקורה מסביב, המשימה הייתה להשפריץ את הנוזל השחור הזה במקומות הנכונים ובכמות הנכונה, ומסביב לכל זה בכלל לא היה בן אדם שרועד מכאב.

במהלך כל הניתוח הזה שני הילדים של המטופל היו בחדר, ביחד עם עוד כמה בני משפחה ושכנים שהגיעו לראות, או לתמוך, או סתם להזדעזע. והילדים? הגדול, אולי בן 7-8, היה מרותק ע”י כל התהליך, עמד ליד תומאס עם פנס משלו כדי שיוכל לראות טוב יותר מה קורה. הקטן, אולי בן שנתיים, היה מספיק גדול כדי להבין שהוא לא אוהב את מה שקורה שם. הוא בכה, הוא השתולל, ומבחינתם לא היה לזה שום קשר לעובדה שהם גורמים לו לראות את אבא שלו מנותח ורועד מכאב. היחידי שהבין את הסיטואציה היה טאשי, שלקח אותו החוצה.

למחרת קמנו לבוקר בהיר עם נוף מהמם, ולידיעה שכנראה היום נחולץ. עם מסוק אחד הגיע אתמול, היום יגיעו עוד. מה, לא? אז מהר מאוד התברר שלא. כשהתחלנו לעשות טלפונים גילינו שכולם מופתעים שאנחנו עדיין שם. הרי כבר היה אתמול מסוק. כל שיחות הטלפונים והדיונים של אותו היום התגלו כחסרי טעם ברגע שלראשונה מאז רעידת האדמה הצבא הנפאלי הגיע לכפר. אני ותומאס ירדנו למטה לפגוש את החיילים, שנראו די מופתעים לראות אותנו. הסברנו להם מה קרה – תומאס בעצבים שלא ממש עוזרים למטרה שלנו, ואני משתדל להשלים אותו ברוגע והגיון – ובלי להניד עפעף מפקד הכוח אמר לנו להיות במנחת תוך 20 דקות.

כמובן שכולנו היינו שם תוך 20 דקות, ביחד עם עוד כמה נפאלים, כולל המנותח מהלילה שלפני. המסוק הגיע אחרי שעתיים, לא עשרים דקות, אבל הגיע. נכון רעידות אדמה הן כמו בסרטים? אז גם נחיתה והמראה של מסוק. הכאוס, הרעש והרוח בהחלט לקוחים מהמציאות. פתאום היינו בתוך המסוק – אני, אליינה, ג’ולייט ואריק, ותוך שתי דקות כבר היינו בדונצ’ה. גם כשהגענו לשם כולם היו בטוחים שאנחנו התיירים האחרונים מקנג’ים, ורק לאחר שהצקנו להם הם שלחו עוד מסוק לאסוף את השאר, כולל תומאס שבזכות העקשנות והתושיה שלו חולצנו מלכתחילה.

כשאחד מהאנשים שבמקום גילה שאני תום מישראל הוא היה מאוד מופתע. מהבוקר הוא חיפש אותי בדונצ’ה, ומסתבר שהמסוק שלי לקטמנדו עזב לפני חמש דקות. איך לא באתי? מעניין איך. אחרי רבע שעה הגיעה המסוק השני מקנג’ים, עם תומאס ושאר החברים עליו, ותוך רגע מצאתי את עצמי מועלה עליו (הפעם מקדימה!), כשאליינה, ג’ולייט ואריק נשארים מאחור בדונצ’ה. הפעם, בלי תיקים ואנשים שחוסמים את החלון, הייתי יכול לראות בבירור את השטח שמתחתינו ומצדדינו. מלבד העובדה שזה ממש יפה ומגניב, היה קשה לעבור את כל הכפרים הקטנים ולראות שבכל אחד מהם יש כמה בתים ממוטטים. עשר דקות ונחתנו בטריסולי. מישור.

היה לי ברור שהמשימה שלי שם היא להציק להם כדי שיביאו את הנותרים מדונצ’ה.
קצת זמן לאחר מכן כבר הושיבו אותנו בואן לקטמנדו, ולשמחתנו אליינה, ג’ולייט ואריק הגיעו במסוק נפרד והספיקו להצטרף אלינו לואן.

הנסיעה התחילה, בין ערביים, ואני משתמש באחוזי הסוללה האחרונים בטלפון כדי לדבר עם המשפחה, לראשונה מזה שישה ימים, ומגלה שלפי המחלצים הישראלים וחברות הביטוח, חולצתי כמה שעות לפני שזה אכן קרה. תוך כדי שאני מדבר עם לי, אחותי, אני לא יכול להימנע מקריאות הזעזוע. פתאום אני רואה מימדי הרס אחרים – כפרים שלמים ממוטטים, קירות בודדים נשארו. בדקתי את זה לאחר מכן, אבל גם בלי לבדוק היה לי די ברור שאנחנו עוברים דרך מוקד הרעידה. הלב שלי נשבר שוב ושוב ושוב על הגורל האכזר של נפאל, אבל הרגעים האלה היו השיא. כמה אוהלים.

קטמנדו. כמה סיוטים היו לנו בימים האלה על קטמנדו – אין מים, יש מחלות, הכל הרוס, בוזזים, מה לא.
פה ושם ראיתי מבעד לחלון בתים פגועים, אבל לא משהו שמתקרב למימדי ההרס במוקד הרעידה. התאמל לא השתנה יותר מדי, אבל רוב החנויות סגורות, המוזיקה נעלמה, התיירים נעלמו ואת רוב הדברים שבתפריט אי אפשר להזמין.

גם עכשיו, יום לאחר החילוץ, אני עדיין לא מעכל את כל הימים האחרונים, ואת העובדה שאני כבר לא שם.

לאורך כל הימים האלה דיברנו בינינו הרבה על מה שיהיה אחר כך, איך כל אחד ימשיך. עוד לפני שהגעתי לקטמנדו היה ברור לי שלא אמשיך לסין ומונגוליה כמתוכנן. אז מה כן? כשהייתי בכפר בער בי להישאר בנפאל ולעזור, לעשות משהו כדי לשפר טיפה את המצב של האנשים המסכנים האלה, אולי דרך תבל בצדק.

כשהתעוררנו באמצע הלילה לעוד רעידת אדמה, הפעם כשאנחנו ישנים בתוך חדר, נחתה עלי ההבנה.
היום האחרון היה מלא בבירורים וגישושים ובעיקר בתשישות ומצב רוח מאוד מוזר שאני לא יודע להגדיר.
אליינה קיבלה את ההחלטה שלה, והיום בבוקר נפרדנו והיא נסעה לשדה התעופה, לקראת טיסה הביתה, להולנד. זו הייתה פרידה קשה.

כבר כמה שעות שיש לי כרטיס טיסה הביתה, מחר בצהריים. תוך כדי שאני כותב את זה אני מתקשה לעכל שזה מה שהולך לקרות. אני לא יכול להישאר פה, או לטייל בכל מקום אחר, או להיות בכל מקום שהוא לא הבית, ועדיין, לא ממש עיכלתי שהמסע הזה מסתיים ואני חוזר הביתה עוד פחות מ48 שעות.

זו תהיה תקופה מאוד מוזרה, ויקח לי זמן לעכל. אני מקווה שלא אתחרט על ההחלטה הזאת.
בינתיים, הגיע הזמן להתחיל להתעדכן בתאריכי ההופעות של החודשים הקרובים.

One Comment on “And then the Earth trembled

  1. תום, זה היה הדבר הכי אמיתי, ישיר ונאמן שקראתי על הסיפור בנפאל, מדמיין את הניגודים בין ההרס לנוף המשוגע, בין החייכנות הנפאלית ליצר ההישרדות כשהכל מתהפך ומבין אותך. ברוך שובך!!!
    אם אתה צריך קצת חופש במקום זר אתה מוזמן למצפה רמון.
    נתת גם מבט על כל המקומות, בטבע, על התאמל וזוויות של מטייל, שמכיר…


    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: