Annapurna circuit trek – part 1, March 2013

We left Kathmanu by van, early in the morning. After a few hours drive through breathtaking views of green hills and terraces, we reach the Annapurna Circuit starting point. Our gang includes the four of us, and our two Nepali porters, the brothers Milan and Likpa. The altitude is 700m, and we start walking along the Marsyangdi river. The stream is strong, deep blue, full of large stones and surrounded by a beautiful valley – lots of green, terraces, waterfalls and hills on both sides, and sometimes some cliffs.
After walking for two hours, we’ve reached our destination for the day – a small village called Ngadi. Our guesthouse is a pleasant place with a garden, above the river. The rooms are basic shacks, eace containing two beds with mosquito nets. The toilets are outside the rooms, Indian-style. You know, the ones with no toilet bowl and just a hole instead.
After a few minutes of settling in, we follow the sign that directs us down to the river. We’re sitting on the rocks that decorate the riverbank and wading our feet in the water, and I’m trying to get used to the new reality of a long trek. The last thing you can say about my readiness level is that I came unprepared – I’ve spent whole weeks accumulating knowledge about Nepal, and specifically about this trek. I’ve read all the travelling tips about Nepal in the biggest Israeli travellers’ website. Yes, I’m serious – all thousands of them. I may be a control freak. Anyway, while I’m sitting there, wading my feet in the river, it’s starting to become a reality – I’m faraway from home, at the foothills of the Himalayas, and about to be in nature for a few weeks and see magnificent views. So much fun!

Just before sunset, a snowy peak apperas above the horizon, peeking between the mountains. ‘Milan, which peak is it?’, we ask our Nepali porter. He looks back at us, wonder and amusement painted on his face and resembled in his voice – ‘That one? That thing? It doesn’t have a name, it’s only a small hill! no more than 3500m’.
Oh. That’s All.

It’s morning. I’m getting ready for my first day of hiking for real (those first two hours the day before don’t really count). It doesn’t take me long to realise that something’s wrong, even before the hike start, while we’re still in the guesthouse. It’s not my first time in east Asia; After a month in Thailand I already know that things like this happen, I know it’s part of the deal. that it’s natural and there’s nothing to be ashamed about it. ‘I have diarrhea’, I decisively pronounced before my friends, while they’re still sitting around the breakfast table, slowly digesting that which I’ve already ejected. Stunned faces met my agonized face. I don’t clearly remember who was the one that has finally regained his composure and said something, but it was something like ‘Thanks for sharing’. By the tone of speech, I suspected that said gratitude isn’t sincere. Oh, well. They’ll get used to it. It’d become a legitimate (and common) topic of conversation.

I’m trying to go on as planned, but as the time passes by and I go on hiking like this, I feel worser. Naturally, my walking pace is slow, and as we get closer to Bahundanda, just before lunch, my friends and porters are way ahead of me. I will never forget that ascent to the village. There were moments I didn’t believe I could finish it. My physical condition was lousy, and there was no one to help me. With every agonized step I took, my rage and affront had become sharper. I knew on one left me alone on purpose, and still, I couldn’t fathom how they could let me walk alone in my condition. It took me a while, but eventually I’d made it to the top of the hill, to the village, and have found my friends resting, waiting for me. I can’t remember the exact words I’ve used, but I made sure they knew how they made me feel.

Lunch was mainly composed of my head bent down on the table under my hands, and running back and forth to the toilet. Food was not present. The thermometer had had no good news, so we’ve decided to stay the night in Bahundanda. My recollection of the rest of the day is pretty foggy – I can’t remember much except for lots of rice, disgusting garlic soup, more toliet-running-back-and-forth, and especially the feeling that I’m stuck in the middle of nowhere with 39 celcius degrees, with no doctor around. In those moments, I was mamma’s boy again. All I wanted was to speak with my mom and cry on the phone, to feel that there’s someone taking care of me and looking after me. I’ve managed to speak with her, eventually, but when I think back on it, it probably wasn’t the wisest thing to do. Later she’d tell me that she had almost bought a plane ticket and came for the rescue (well, good luck with finding that god forsaken vilage…).
At one point, our options were getting a helicopter evacuation, or be creative. We chose the second one. After throughly reading all of our combined medicines’ leaflets, we’ve reached the conclusion my antibiotics fit my condition perfectly.

I woke up the next morning, feeling much better, but still in need of some rest. While I’ve been sleeping, my friends have hiked down to the village spring. When I wake up again, it’s already afternoon. Suddenly it’s all better. I start noticing my surroundings for the first time – a tiny isolate village, somewhere in the midst of green hills, terraces, domestic animals, rivers and waterfalls. And silence. Once in a while a loud bus passes by the dirt road on the other side of the river below us and honks, but besides that – it’s all so quiet. By the way, I’m really don’t understand how these ancient vehciles manage to survive those lousy dirt roads. I wouldn’t let a 4×4 drive it, but here in Nepal a decades-old bus climbs the stones as if it were a goat.

I need to stretch my legs a little bit. A short walk leads me to a small temple overlooking the hills. So peaceful, feels so good to just sit here and relax. I won’t forget the feeling of being cut off the world in this place. When I was still feverish it was a horrible feeling, but once I’ve started feeling better, it turned out to be wonderful. It’s all a matter of perspective. Or maybe a matter of body temperature.

We’ve left Bahndanda and resumed our journey along the river, passing through tiny villages. Chickens clucking around goat herds and small cute children running between their mothers’ legs. Deep crimson flowers are blossoming everywhere, their color creating contrast that gives (more) life to the landscape.
At noon, we’re crossing the river to Syange. As we’re eating lunch, the restaurant owner’s small kid, about six years old, puts on a small backpack. His father puts a disksaw inside in a nonchalant manner. Once we continued our hike, we’ve discovered the kid had joined our group, and our porters are escorting him to the next village, so he could deliver the disksaw to someone. We’ve reached a winding ascent. It’s a wide dirt road, fit for jeeps. The normal thing to do would be to climb the road, and that’s what we did. But for Likpa and the small kid it was a waste of time, apparently. They didn’t think twice before they both started to climb the cliff vertically – one carrying a large backpack, the other one six years old with a sawdisk on his back. Nepalis.

As we arrived to the kid’s destination village, it was already early afternoon.We’ve had a long and frustrating discussion about whether to keep on walking till Tal, or take a jeep. Eventually we’ve decided to keep on walking. This whole thing turned out to be pretty ironic when we discovered that the road is blocked due to a landslide. The road, at this point, was a narrow dirt road far above the river. The rocks have been cleared off by tractors, but by the time they’d finished, we’ve had no choice but to take a jeep. Otherwise we would’ve kept on walking in the dark. So, on the jeep we go – the four of us sitting in the open back of the jeep and our porters of the roof – and thus, the most frightening ride of my life (till that moment, at least) has started. When I look outside the jeep, all I can see is the abyss beneath me with nothing between us. When a tractor seeks passage passage in the opposite direction, it simply tries to pass us from the river’s side of the road, even though there’s clearly not enough space over there. The simple solution is, of course, to roll down rocks down the cliff in order to make enough space for it to pass. The four of us are horrified, obviously, and our porters are making fun of us for the whole time, while sitting on the roof.

עזבנו את קטמנדו בואן בשעת בוקר מוקדמת. אחרי כמה שעות נסיעה מערבה דרך נופים מרהיבים של גבעות ירוקות וטראסות, אנחנו מגיעים לנקודת ההתחלה של טרק סובב האנאפורנה. החבורה שלנו כוללת את ארבעתנו ואת שני הפורטרים (סבלים) הנפאלים שלנו, האחים מילאן וליקפה. אנחנו בגובה 700 מ’, מתחילים ללכת לאורך נהר המרסיאנגדי. הנהר כחול, סלעי ושוצף ומוקף בעמק יפהפה – הרבה ירוק, טרסות, מפלים וגבעות משני צדדיו, ולעתים גם מצוקים. בסוף היום הראשון, אחרי כשעתיים הליכה, אנחנו מגיעים לכפר קטן בשם גנאדי. הגסטהאוס שלנו הוא מקום חביב עם חצר, קצת מעל הנהר. החדרים הם צריפים בסיסיים, שתי מיטות בכל אחד מהם, עם כילות נגד יתושים. השירותים הם שירותי בור, מחוץ לחדרים. אחרי כמה דקות של התמקמות אנחנו הולכים בעקבות השלט המורה לירידה לנהר. תוך כדי שאנחנו יושבים על הסלעים שעל שפת הנהר ומשכשכים את רגלינו, אני מנסה להתרגל למציאות החדשה של טרק ארוך. אני לא מגיע בחוסר ידיעה – ביליתי שבועות שלמים בהכנות וצבירת ידע לקראת נפאל, וספציפית לקראת הטרק. קראתי את כל הטיפים באתר ‘למטייל’ על נפאל. כן, אני רציני, את כל האלפים. יכול להיות שאני קצת Control freak. בכל מקרה, כשאני יושב שם, משכשך רגליי בנהר, זה מתחיל להפוך למציאות. אני רחוק מהבית, למרגלות ההימלאיה, ואני עומד להיות בטבע במשך כמה שבועות ולראות נופים מדהימים. איזה כיף!

לעת שקיעה, מתגלה קצהו של הר מושלג באופק, מבצבץ בין שאר ההרים. כמובן ששאלנו את מילאן איזו פסגה אנחנו רואים שם, מבצבצת לה. הוא הביט בנו בתמיהה ושעשוע – ‘זה? הדבר הזה? אין לו שם, זו רק גבעה קטנה! לא יותר מ3500 מטר!’. אה. זה הכל.

בוקר ליום השני של הטרק, או אולי ליום הראשון, כי קשה להחשיב את השעתיים בהן הלכנו ביום הראשון. מהר מאוד אני מבין שמשהו לא בסדר, עוד לפני תחילת ההליכה, בעודנו בגסטהאוס. אני לא בטיול הראשון שלי במזרח; אחרי חודש בתאילנד אני כבר יודע שדברים כאלה קורים, אני יודע שזה חלק מהעניין, שזה טבעי ושאין מה להתבייש בזה. ‘אני משלשל’, הצהרתי בהחלטיות לשלושת חבריי, שעוד ישבו מסביב לשולחן האוכל שבחצר, מעכלים בשקט את מה שאני כבר הוצאתי. מבטים המומים פגשו את פרצופי המיוסר. אני לא זוכר מי מהם התעשת והגיב בסופו של דבר, אבל זה היה משהו בסגנון ‘תודה שחלקת’. לפי טון הדיבור שבו זה נאמר, התגנב לליבי ספק בדבר קיומה של הכרת התודה המדוברת. נו, הם יתרגלו. זה עוד יהפוך לנושא שיחה לגיטימי.

אני משתדל להמשיך כמתוכנן, אך ככל שעובר הזמן, הרגשת החולי מתגברת. מטבע הדברים, הקצב שלי לא מהיר במיוחד, וכשאנחנו מתקרבים לכפר בהונדנדה, לקראת ארוחת הצהריים, החברים והפורטרים כבר הרבה לפניי, בפער גדול. את העליה ההיא, עד לכפר, אני לא אשכח. היו רגעים בהם לא האמנתי שאוכל לסיים אותה. ההרגשה הפיזית הייתה נוראית, ולא היה מי שיעזור לי. עם כל צעד מיוסר נוסף, הזעם והעלבון שלי התגברו. לרגע לא חשבתי שמישהו עשה זאת בכוונת זדון, ועדיין, לא הצלחתי להבין איך הם השאירו אותי ללכת לבד במצבי. זה לקח לי זמן, אבל בסופו של דבר הגעתי למעלה ומצאתי את שלושת חבריי נחים בעצלתיים. אני לא זוכר מה בדיוק אמרתי להם, אבל לא חסכתי מהם את האופן בו הם גרמו לי להרגיש.

ארוחת הצהריים הייתה מורכבת בעיקר מראש מורכן בין הידיים וריצות לשירותים. האוכל פחות נוכח. המדחום סיפר שהמצב לא משהו, ועל כן החלטנו להישאר ללון בבהונדנדה. היום ההוא מאוד מעורפל בזכרוני. אני לא זוכר הרבה מלבד אורז, מרק שום נוראי, עוד ועוד ריצות לשירותים וההרגשה הנוראית שאני תקוע באמצע שום מקום עם כמעט 39 מעלות חום, בלי שום רופא. פתאום, באותם הרגעים, אני שוב הילד של אמא. כל מה שרציתי זה לדבר עם אמא ולבכות לה בטלפון, לקבל איזו תחושה שיש מישהו שדואג לי ושומר עלי. בסופו של דבר הצלחתי לדבר איתה, אבל בדיעבד אני מבין שכנראה זה לא היה הדבר החכם לעשות. מאוחר יותר היא תספר לי שכמעט קנתה כרטיס באותו הרגע וטסה אלי (בהצלחה עם למצוא את הכפר הזה…).

בשלב כלשהו, כשהאופציות שעמדו בפנינו הן לקרוא לפינוי ע”י מסוק, או להיות יצירתיים, בחרנו באופציה השניה. אחרי קריאה מעמיקה של עלוני תרופות, הגענו למסקנה שכדורי האנטיביוטיקה שלי מתאימים לסיטואציה.

התעוררתי למחרת בבוקר המאוחר, מרגיש הרבה יותר טוב, אך עדיין זקוק למנוחה. בזמן שישנתי, חבריי יצאו לטייל עם הפורטרים, ירדו לאיזה מעיין במורד ההר. כשאני מתעורר שוב, מתישהו אחה”צ, פתאום הכל טוב יותר. לפתע, אני מתחיל לשים לב למקום בו אני נמצא – כפר קטן ומבודד, איפשהו בין גבעות ירוקות, טרסות חקלאיות, חיות משק, נהרות ומפלים. ושקט. מדי פעם עובר אוטובוס רועש ומצפצף בדרך העפר שמעברו השני של הנהר שמתחתינו, אבל חוץ מזה – הכל שקט. אגב, לא ברור איך דרכי העפר הנפאליות תומכות ברכבים העתיקים שנוסעים בהן. בארץ לא בטוח שהייתי נותן ל4×4 לנסוע על זה, ופה אוטובוס בן עשרות שונים מטפס על סלעים משמע היה עז.

צריך למתוח קצת את הרגליים. הליכה קצרה מובילה אותי למקדש  קטן הצופה על הגבעות שמתחתינו. כמה שלווה, כמה טוב לשבת ולהירגע במקום כזה. אני לא אשכח כמה מנותק מהעולם הרגשתי במקום הזה. כשעוד קדחתי מחום זו הייתה הרגשה נוראית, ופתאום, כשהתחלתי להרגיש יותר טוב, זו נהייתה הרגשה מופלאה. הכל שאלה של נקודת מבט. או אולי של טמפרטורת הגוף.

למחרת אנחנו ממשיכים בדרכנו לאורך הנהר, עוברים כפרים קטנטנים. תרנגולות מקרקרות מסביב לעדרי עזים, וילדים קטנים וחמודים רצים בין רגלי אימהותיהם. בכל מקום מבצבצים במפתיע פרחים אדומים עזים, שהניגוד שלהם לשאר הצבעים מקשט את הנוף ומפיח בו (עוד יותר) חיים.

לעת צהריים אנחנו חוצים את הנהר אל הכפר סייאנג’. במהלך ארוחת הצהריים, הילד הקטן של בעלי המסעדה, כבן 6, מקבל לידיו תיק גב קטן, ולתוך התיק מוכנס כלאחר יד מסור דיסק. כשאנחנו ממשיכים בהליכה אנחנו מגלים, להפתעתנו, שהילד הקטן הצטרף לחבורתינו, ובעצם הפורטרים שלנו מלווים אותו ביחד איתנו לכפר הבא, להביא למישהו את מסור הדיסק. בהמשך הדרך אנחנו מגיעים לעליה מפותלת בשביל עפר רחב המתאים לג’יפים. כמובן שהדבר ההגיוני לעשות הוא לטפס בשביל העפר, וזה מה שאנחנו עושים, אבל בשביל ליקפה ובשביל הילד הקטן זה פשוט בזבוז זמן, מסתבר. בלי לחשוב פעמיים הם מטפסים את כל הסיפור הזה אנכית, פשוט מטפסים על הצוק – אחד עם תיק גב גדול שלנו, השני בן 6 עם מסור דיסק. נפאלים.

בעת הגעתנו לכפר היעד של הילד, הצהריים הם כבר זכרון נושן, ומתפתח דיון ארוך ומתסכל סביב ההתלבטות האם להמשיך בג’יפ עד טאל, או להמשיך ללכת. בכלל, הדינמיקה שהתפתחה בין ארבעתנו בכל פעם שהיה צורך בקבלת החלטה הייתה די מרגיזה. או לפחות, היה ברור שאותי ואת שקד היא מרגיזה. מה היה שם בעצם? מבחינתי, ארבעה אנשים שמנסים להגיע להחלטה וחוששים להתעמת אחד עם השני. זה התבטא, למיטב זכרוני, בעיקר באופן שבו אסף התנהל בנוגע לכל החלטה – הוצעו כמה אפשרויות, והוא היה עונה ‘אפשר’ באופן לא מחייב. בשלב מאוחר בטרק, אולי שבוע או שבועיים לאחר מכן, הוא הסביר לנו שפשוט לא אכפת לו. שיעשע אותי להבין שאני המצאתי את הפירוש שלי ל’אפשר’ שלו – פירשתי את התגובה הזאת כהתחמקות שנובעת מחוסר נעימות לבטא את דעתו האמיתית, ומקשה עלינו לקבל החלטה – בעוד שלמעשה כל שאסף רצה הוא שנוציא אותו מהמשוואה ופשוט נקבל החלטה בלעדיו. בפועל הוא הקל עלינו ולא הבנו זאת.

לאחר דיסקוסים רבים אנחנו מחליטים ללכת עד לטאל. כל העניין הופך לדי אירוני כשבהמשך הדרך אנחנו מגלים שהיא חסומה בגלל מפולת סלעים. הדרך, בשלב זה, היא למעשה דרך ג’יפים צרה הרחק מעל הנהר. הסלעים מפונים ע”י טרקטורים, ועד שהמלאכה הזו מסתיימת, כבר לא נותרת לנו ברירה אלא לעלות על ג’יפ, או ללכת בחשיכה. אז עולים על ג’יפ – ארבעתנו בחלקו האחורי והפתוח והפורטרים על הגג – ומתחילים לנסוע את הנסיעה הכי מפחידה בחיי (עד לאותו הרגע, לפחות). כשאני מביט החוצה, אני יכול לראות את התהום מתחתיי בלי שום דבר בינינו, וכשטרקטור רוצה לעבור בכיוון הנגדי הוא פשוט עובר מצד התהום, למרות שבבירור אין לו מספיק מרווח לעבור שם. הפתרון? לדרדר למטה אבנים בעזרת הכף. ארבעתנו מבועתים, כמובן, ולאורך כל הזמן הזה הפורטרים צוחקים עלינו ממקום מושבם על גג הג’יפ.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: