Annapurna circuit trek – part 3, March-April 2013

Thorung Padi (4500m), a camp with two guesthouses, is the highest point before the climb to the mountain pass. The pass is the highest point in the trek – 5416m. There’s no need to mention that it’s cold in Thorung Padi. Really. Really. Cold.

It’s 3:15am. I wake up after a short night, my sleep was lousy (one of the symptoms of light mountain sickness). It’s dark outside, but there’s a full moon that shines upon all the white mountains around. It’s an amazing sight – seeing all this white by the moonlight.

As if the lack of sleep and freezing cold weren’t enough, I soon find out that my camelback had spilled inside my backpack. My wallet, along with the pile of Rupee notes inside, is completely wet. And so, at 3:30am, 4500m altitude and while we’re freezing, we’re spreading all my money notes on a table and drying them up with toilet paper. The Nepalis walk in the room to serve us breakfast. once they step inside, they stop in stunned silence, as if they’ve cought us in the middle of an arms deal with the cash suitcase wide open…

around 4:00am, while the only light around is the moonlight, we start the most exhausting climb ever to Thorung High Camp (4800m). Just imagine climbing a steep path in complete darkness while the terrain is slippery, because it’s full of snow and ice that hasn’t melted yet (my camelback froze as well…). Overmore, it’s hard to breathe due to the altitude, and the worst is the cold. I’ve never imagined it’s possible to be so cold. It’s literally freezing cold – my fingers are actually frozen, and frozen fingers is painful, apparently. Two hours of walking in a convoy of headtorches while climbing to the unknown between big white chunks. These were, without a doubt the most physically challenging two hours I’ve ever experienced, so far.
We finally reach the high camp, expecting a warm fireplace to put us out of our misery. We haven’t considered the fact that no one would bother carrying firewood up there, so there’s no fire to warm us up. The porridge and tea help a little bit, but it’s not enough. I gather around a weak candle along with a few more people, trying to grasp some of its heat, desperately wishing it would thaw my fingers. Not hungry anymore but still freezing, I go outside to witness the sun rising out of the mountains. Suddenly the surreal landscape surrounding us starts to reveal itself. White, white and more white. Mountains, glaciers and clouds. The climb goes on, less steep and less cold, but still very cold and difficult. The more we climb, the more I feel the mountain sickness.
Finally! We’ve reached the pass, 5416m. All of us are not feeling well, but hey, we did it! We’ve climbed 4700 meters, walked god-knows-how-many kilometers, survived the extreme cold and the mountain sickness and reached this point to witness this spectacular view. The sign announcing the altitude is buried underneath the snow almost completely, which means the snow is 1-1.5 meters tall. That’s a lot of snow.

On the other side of the mountain pass, there’s a completely different landscape – barren desert-like mountains. After a short break and a photoshoot, we start descending towards Mukhtinath, at 3700m. The long descent is exhausting and snowy. The trekking poles keep me steady, but it’s all so slippery, and I’m exhausted after walking for hours with minimum oxygen and maximum cold. All of the above is surely a recipe for slipping in the snow. Somewhere along the way the trekking poles become ski poles, and we’re sliding down while falling repeatedly. Not the safest approach, but I’d be lying if I’d say it wasn’t fun.

We’ve reached Mukhtinath. It’s hard to believe this long day, that has felt like three days, is over. We’re indluging ourselves in a relatively-luxrious guesthouse. There’s a shower inside the room, and the hot water are actually hot! What more can a guy ask in return for 2.5$?

I wake up and stare at the window after a sound sleep (how else can a sleep be, after an ordeal like that?). Apparently I was completely unaware of what was going on outside. It’s white all around, Mukhtinath is completely covered in snow. Hiking in a snow that has frozen is one thing, but seeing a village covered in fresh snow is a whole other thing. It feels a little bit like an American movie scene, where the kid has just woken up to find out that snow had fallen during the night. The kid goes outside and enthusiastically shouts ‘snow!!’. Apparantely it’s exciting even if school isn’t cancelled.
Before resuming our hike, we’re visiting the Mukhtinath Hindu temple. The snow is desperately hanging on the bushes’ bare branches and the mountains around us look like someone has sprinkled caster sugar all over them.
This temple, apparently, is a very sacred place in Nepal, due to the natural gas flame residing in it. It’s been a pilgrimage site for 3000 years, for Hindus and Buddhists . alike. This is actually my first visit to a Hindu temple. The temple is packed with pilgrims – bathing in the outdoor pool, wetting their hands in a row of adorned taps (some of them frozen), and a few of them, probably the ones that came from non-touristic areas, are excited to witness white people for the first time. They want to take a picture with us.

After leaving the temple, we start heading downhill towards Kagbeni. I’m impressed by the landscape: barren snow-covered mountains, with green fields between them. Kagbeni, with its houses and green fields, lies before us, and it’s a breathtaking view. An island of colors and beautiful buildings in the middle of a desert, and the wide Kali Gandaki river alongside it.
The village is lovely up close, with ancient alleys that resemble a European fortress, and a wide view over the river and Mustang valley. Oh, and restaurants and coffee places. I almost can’t recall such a thing – a coffee place…

A Buddhist monastery hides between the alleys. I circle the temple (clockwise, of course), and suddenly gets frightened by a monstrous dog, barking at me from the nearby rooftop. We keep strolling around the village, passing by strange statues in the alleys. The village northern exit is a row of Buddhist prayer wheels. We’re walking alongside them, as we notice a cow panickly galloping in our direction. The prayer wheels are blocking our escape route, so we’re running away from the approaching menace, but still in its way. At one point the prayer wheels row is over and we can escape sideways. The cow passes us by and approaches two Nepali girls. They’re standing in its path, hugging each other, frozen by their terror. The cow is galloping, getting nearer, and they’re screaming, obviously. The cows stops in front of them, looks at them for a split second, and then suddenly turns around and gallops all the way back. A histerical laughter spasm followed.

It feels a little bit like being back in civilization, and at that point, it’s a welcome change. It’s hard to contain myself at dinner – the menu is filled with a variety of luxury products I’ve already managed to forget – tomatoes, chicken, alcohol, wi-fi. The good life…

While looking at the map, we’ve noticed a blue trail marking. It’s an alternative way from Kagbeni to Jomsom – the trail climbs up the mountain, rather than pass through the valley by the river. Mohon has tried to convince us not to go that way, but we insisted, and it’s good that we did. Instead of walking in a wide boring valley with strong wind hitting us in the face, we’re walking in a high not-so-travelled trail, full of authentic villages. behind these villages lie deep-green fields, the Kali Gandaki river behind them, and on its other side proudly rises the Dhaulagiri, the seventh highest peak in the world, at altitude of 8167m. It’s definitely the most impressive mountain I’ve ever seen, maybe because you can actually see with your own eyes the altitude differences between the valley and the mountain – about 7km!
After going uphill, you usually need to go downhill. Going downhill in a steep unmarked trailless road is less common, at least for the average traveller, but it can happen, apparently. It’s complicated and dangerous, and mainly causes kneeaches for all of us. After what feels like forever we reach Jomsom, the valley captial. They even have an airport.

I’m not sure if it’s the long walk or the exhausting descent, but I’m not feeling well. Mohon and me are taking the bus from Jomsom to Marpha, while my friends keep on walking for two more hours.
Marpha, a village known for it’s apples (and apple products: cider, brandy, juice, pie, apple-crumble), is built on the mountainside and on the adjacent plateau. The village is filled with crowded white houses and attractive alleys. Beautiful and somewhat European. The guesthouse has a comfy lobby with sofas, and a display window with different kinds of apple pastries. They sure do have a style this side of the Annapurna.

A long wi-fi session makes me feel better, especially with it’s accompanies by ab excellent apple juice. My friends’ arrival takes longer than I expected. A few hours after we’ve split, they finally arrive with a story about losing their way and almost trying to cross the river by foot.

After digesting different kinds of apple pastries, it’s time for the alcoholic beverages. Marpha’s apple brandy is a standard 40% alcoholic drink, but the cider, oh, the cider. It’s definitely the best alcoholic drink I’ve had the pleasure to drink – thick, sweet, strong as wine. We’re sitting there and drinking – the four of us, Mohon, Sobin, a Korean guy that doesn’t speak English and his Nepali porter. Everyone’s slowly getting drunk, except me, for some reason. The Korean guy insists on showing us photos on this phone, maybe because it’s his only way of communicating with us. Sobin repeatedly declares his love for Begam using words (“I love you Lambu!”) and hugs. The Korean guy’s porter is trying to aggresively-but-oddly hit on Shaked (“Come with me to my village, my wife will teach you to cook Nepali dishes”), and she, in turn, giggles event though she’s not intereseted, because that’s what she does when she’s drunk.

On the day after, hiking suddenly seems less attractive. Maybe the pastries and alcohol have spoiled us. The council decides to skip the last segment of the trek and take a jeep straight to Tatopani, to the hotsprings, to indulge ourselves a little bit more after a long axhausting trek. If you haven’t sat in a hotspring while there’s hale falling off the sky, it’s like you’ve never been to a hotspring.

Annapurna circuit trek is over, but two and a half weeks is not enough for us, apparently. We’ve decided to continue hiking four more days on the Poon Hill trek, that starts from Tatopani. That part looked less attractive, but I was gravely mistaken. stirring landscapes are in abundance even when you’re not in high altitude with snow all around you. We walked uphill on the first two days, among red, yellow, white and pink rhododendron forests (it’s the national flower of Nepal called ‘Lali Guras’ in Nepali). Sobin showed us how useful these flowers are – you can adorn you head with it, bestow them upon your loved one (Lambu…), or even eat them…

When we stopped for lunch on the first day, it was just the three of us and Mohon. Asaf hitchhiked and hopped on a random tractor with Sobin, because his knees had hurt. Begam and me decided to celebrate the fact that we’re not in high altitude anyomre, and therefore it’s ok to drink, and the prices are reasonable again. That beer (together with the Dal Bhat) has made me so sleepy. When I asked Mohon how much longer we’re going to walk today, he said it would take 45 more minutes. I had no idea how in hell I’m going to keep walking for 45 minutes, but it’s not like I had any choice. We’ve reached the guesthouse 5 minutes later. He tricked me, the bastard.

We’ve reached Poon hill after two days. The ‘hill’ is so famous and well-visited due to the panoramic Himalayan view that can be percieved when standing on the top. Watching the sun rise over the entire Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges is a worthy experience.
Going downhill for the next two days turned out to be agonizing even more than going uphill. My knees took about a week to recover from those thousands of stairs.

And so ended 21 days of trekking. 21 days that have felt like an entire lifetime. I will never forget the moment of reunion with the equipment I’ve left behind, and my shock by the amount of unnecessary stuff I’ve brought with me from Israel. What do I need all these things for? All these extra clothes?
But beyond that, and beyond the landscapes, there was something liberating in spending so much time in nature, in walking. It’s just… freedom and nature.

A few days later I spoke with my mom on the phone. I told her that somehow, unintentionally, I’ve stopped biting down my fingernails. She asked me if I feel more calm. It caught me by surprise. ‘Maybe, I haven’t really thought about it’, I asnwered.
I listened to myself while speaking and noticed my slow and relaxed tone of speech, and realised I AM more calm. A month of travelling, and it’s already changing me for the better.

ת’ורונג פדי (4500 מ’), מחנה עם שני גסטהאוסים, הוא הנקודה האחרונה לפני הפאס (מעבר ההרים). הפאס הוא הנקודה הגבוהה ביותר בטרק – 5416 מ’. מיותר לציין שבת’ורונג פדי קר. ממש. ממש. קר.

שלוש ורבע לפנות בוקר. אני מתעורר אחרי לילה קפוא עם שינה גרועה (אחד מהתסמינים של מחלת גבהים קלה). בחוץ עוד חושך, אבל הירח מלא ומאיר על כל ההרים הלבנים שמסביב. מדהים לראות את כל הלבן הזה לאור הירח.

כאילו שחוסר השינה והקור המקפיא לא הספיקו, מהר מאוד מתברר שכל השלוקר שלי נשפך בתוך תיק הגב שלי. המשמעות היא שכל הארנק שלי, על שטרות הרופי הרבים שבו, נרטב לחלוטין. וכך קרה הדבר, ובשלוש וחצי לפנות בוקר, בגובה 4500 מ’ ובקור המקפיא, אנחנו פורסים על שולחן המון שטרות רופי נפאלי ומייבשים אותם עם ניירות טואלט. הנפאלים נכנסים לחדר כדי להגיש לנו ארוחת בוקר, ותוך רגע עוטים מבטים המומים על פרצופיהם, כאילו הם תפסו אותנו באמצע עסקת נשק עם המזוודה של המזומנים פתוחה…

בסביבות ארבע, בחושך ובירח מלא, אנחנו מתחילים שעתיים של טיפוס מתיש עד ל-thorung high camp (4800 מ’). תארו לכם לטפס טיפוס תלול בחושך, הקרקע מחליקה כי היא מלאה בשלג ובקרח שעוד לא נמס (גם השלוקר שלי קפוא בשלב זה…), קשה לנשום בגלל הגובה, והכי גרוע – הקור. לא הייתי מסוגל לדמיין שקור כזה אפשרי. קור מקפיא עצמות, באופן מילולי: אצבעות הידיים שלי פשוט קפואות, ואצבעות קפואות זה מאוד מאוד כואב. שעתיים של הליכה בשיירת פנסי ראש שמטפסים אל הלא נודע בין גושים לבנים. אלו ללא ספק השעתיים הכי קשות פיזית שהיו לי בחיים עד כה. 

אנחנו מגיעים להיי קמפ, בציפיה לאיזו אח בוערת שתגאל אותנו מייסורינו. לא חשבנו על זה שאף אחד לא יטרח להביא לחור הזה עצים להסקה, ולכן אין אח. הדייסה והתה עוזרים קצת, אבל זה לא מספיק. אני מתגודד ביחד עם עוד כמה אנשים מסביב לנר, בנסיון לתפוס טיפה מהחום שלו, שיפשיר לי את האצבעות. שבע-אך-עדיין-קפוא, אני יוצא החוצה וחוזה בשמש מתחילה לבצבץ מבעד להרים. פתאום הנוף המטורף שאנחנו נמצאים בו מתחיל להתגלות. פשוט לבן, לבן ולבן. הרים, קרחונים ועננים. הטיפוס ממשיך, פחות תלול ופחות קר, אבל עדיין מאוד קר וקשה. ככל שעולים למעלה מרגישים עוד יותר את הגובה.

סוף סוף! אנחנו בפאס, בגובה 5416 מ’. כולנו מרגישים לא טוב במידה כזו או אחרת. אבל היי, עשינו את זה! טיפסנו 4700 מ’ לגובה, הלכנו מי-יודע-כמה קילומטרים, שרדנו את הקור המטורף ואת מחלת הגבהים והגענו לנקודה הזו כדי לחזות בנוף המדהים הזה. השלט שמכריז על הגובה קבור כמעט כולו מתחת לשלג, מה שאומר שאנחנו עומדים על שלג בגובה מטר-מטר וחצי. זה הרבה שלג.

מהצד השני של מעבר ההרים נפרס בפנינו נוף אחר – הרים צחיחים ומדבריים.
אחרי מנוחה קצרה וסשן תמונות אנחנו מתחילים את הירידה לכיוון מוקתינאת, בגובה 3700 מ’. הירידה ארוכה ומתישה וכולה בשלג. מקלות ההליכה מייצבים אותי, אבל הכל כ”כ חלק, ואני מותש אחרי כל שעות ההליכה במינימום חמצן ומקסימום קור. כל נתוני הפתיחה האלה הם מתכון בטוח להחלקה בשלג.
בשלב מסוים מקלות ההליכה הופכים למקלות סקי, ואנחנו יורדים מטה תוך כדי החלקות ונפילות מכוונות. לא הכי בטיחותי, אבל אני אשקר אם לא אגיד שזה ממש כיף.

הגענו למוקתינאת. לא להאמין שהיום הארוך הזה, שהרגיש כמו שלושה ימים, הסתיים. אנחנו מתפנקים בגסטהאוס מהודר יותר מהרגיל, באופן יחסי. מקלחת בתוך החדר, ועוד עם מים חמים. מה עוד בן אדם יכול לבקש תמורת 10 ש”ח ללילה?

אני מתעורר ובוהה בחלון אחרי שינה מוצלחת (ואיך היא יכולה להיות אחרת, אחרי יום שכזה?) וחסרת מודעות למה שמתחולל בחוץ. הכל לבן, מוקתינאת מושלגת לחלוטין. ללכת בשלג שקפא זה דבר אחד, אבל לראות כפר מכוסה בשלג טרי זו חויה אחרת לחלוטין. ההרגשה היא קצת כמו של ילד בסרטים האמריקאים, שקם בבוקר, מגלה שירד שלג בלילה ויוצא החוצה וצועק ‘שלג!!’ בהתלהבות. מסתבר שלא צריכים לבטל את הלימודים כדי שזה יהיה מלהיב. 

אנחנו קופצים למקדש ההינדו של מוקתינאת, רגע לפני תחילת ההליכה. השלג תלוי על ענפי השיחים העירומים וההרים שמסביב נראים כאילו מישהו פיזר עליהם אבקת סוכר.
המקדש הזה, מסתבר, הוא מקום מאוד קדוש בנפאל, בגלל להבת גז טבעי שיש שם, אשר מהווה מוקד עליה לרגל כבר 3000 שנה, להינדים ובודהיסטים כאחד. בעצם זו הפעם הראשונה שלי אי פעם במקדש הינדו. המקדש מלא בעולי רגל המתרחצים בבריכה שבחוץ, מרטיבים את הידיים שלהם בשורת ברזים מעוצבים (חלקם קפואים), וכמה מביניהם – אלו שהגיעו ממקומות לא מתויירים – מתלהבים מהאנשים הלבנים הראשונים שהם רואים אי פעם ומבקשים להצטלם איתנו.

תם הביקור במקדש, ואנחנו מתחילים את ההליכה לכיוון הכפר קגבני, במגמת ירידה, מתפעלים מהנופים השונים הנגלים בפנינו: ההרים מדבריים, חלקם מכוסים בשלג, ומדי פעם מבצבצים שדות ירוקים. קגבני, על בתיה ושדותיה הירוקים, נפרשת בפנינו, זה עוצר נשימה. אי של צבעוניות, שדות ירוקים ובניה יפהפיה באמצע המדבר, וכל זה לצד נהר הקאלי גנדקי הרחב.

קגבני מקסימה גם מקרוב, עם סמטאות עתיקות שנראות קצת כמו מבצר, נוף על הנהר ועל עמק מוסטאנג המדברי מצפון, ומסעדות ובתי קפה. מי זכר שיש דבר כזה, ‘בתי קפה’?
בין סמטאות קגבני חבוי לו מנזר בודהיסטי. אני מקיף את המנזר (בכיוון השעון, כמובן), ולפתע מובהל כהוגן ע”י כלב אימתני מהגג שליד. אנחנו ממשיכים בסיור בכפר, הולכים בין הסמטאות העתיקות וחולפים על פני פסלים משונים. ביציאה מהכפר יש שורה של גלגלי תפילה בודהיסטים. אנחנו הולכים לאורכם, כשלפתע אנחנו מבחינים בפרה השועטת לעברנו בבהלה. בגלל גלגלי התפילה אין כ”כ אפשרות לברוח הצידה, אז אנחנו בורחים קדימה, עדיין במסלולה של הפרה, עד ששורת גלגלי התפילה נגמרת בפתאומיות ואנחנו נמלטים הצידה. הפרה חולפת על פנינו ומתקרבת לשתי ילדות נפאליות שעומדות בדיוק במסלול שלה. הן מחבקות אחת את השניה, קפואות מרוב פחד. הפרה מתקרבת אליהן בדהרה, והן, כמובן, צורחות. הפרה נעצרת מולן, מסתכלת עליהן לשבריר שניה, ומסתובב כלעומת שבאה ורצה באמוק את כל הדרך בחזרה. כמובן שאחרי כל זה מגיע התקף צחוק היסטרי.

פתאום אני מרגיש שקצת חזרתי לציויליזציה, ובשלב זה, זה שינוי מבורך. בארוחת הערב אני לא יודע את נפשי מרוב אושר, כשאני מגלה שהתפריט כולל שלל מוצרי מותרות שכבר הספקתי לשכוח מהם – עגבניות, עוף, אלכוהול, וייפיי. החיים הטובים…

במפת הטרק נתקלנו בשביל כחול שמהווה דרך אלטרנטיבית להגיע מקגבני לכיוון ג’ומסום – השביל עולה להר ויורד, לעומת השביל האדום שהולך הליכה קלילה בעמק. מוהון ניסה לשכנע אותנו שלא כדאי ללכת משם, אבל אנחנו התעקשנו, וטוב שכך. מהר מאוד אנחנו מגלים שהארכת המסלול הייתה החלטה מוצלחת. במקום ללכת בעמק רחב ומשעמם עם רוח שמכה בנו בפרצוף, אנחנו הולכים בשביל גבוה ולא מתוייר, מלא בכפרים ששמרו על האותנטיות שלהם. מאחורי הכפרים הללו משתרעים שדות ירוקים, נהר הקאלי גנדקי מתחת לכל זה, ומעברו השני של הנהר מתנשא הדאוולאגירי, ההר השביעי בגובהו בעולם, בגובה 8167 מ’, וללא ספק המרשים ביותר שראיתי עד היום, אולי בגלל שהפרש הגבהים בין עמק הקאלי גנדקי לפסגה הצמודה אליו הוא כ7 ק”מ.
אתם יודעים מה אומרים – אחרי כל עליה יש ירידה. ירידות תלולות וחסרות כל סימון או שביל הן פחות נפוצות, לפחות בשביל המטייל הממוצע, אבל מסתבר שגם כאלה יש מדי פעם. עסק מסובך ומסוכן, והרבה כאבי ברכיים לכולנו. אבל גם זה עובר, ואחרי מה שנדמה כנצח אנחנו מגיעים לג’ומסום, בירת העמק. אפילו שדה תעופה יש להם.

אני לא יודע אם זו ההליכה הממושכת או הירידה הסיוטית, אבל אני לא מרגיש טוב. אני נוסע עם מוהון באוטובוס מג’ומסום למרפה, בזמן שחבריי ממשיכים ללכת עוד כשעתיים.

מרפה, כפר הידוע בזכות התפוחים שלו (ובעיקר מה שמייצרים מהם: סיידר תפוחים, מיץ תפוחים, ברנדי תפוחים, קראמבל תפוחים, פאי תפוחים. כן, פינוק), בנוי על צלע גבעה ועל המישור שלידה ומורכב מבתים לבנים צפופים וסמטאות מזמינות. יפהפה ובעל מראה אירופאי משהו. לגסטהאוס יש לובי מפנק עם ספות וויטרינה מפתה עם מאפי תפוחים למיניהם. הם יודעים לפנק בצד הזה של האנאפורנה.

ישיבת וייפיי ארוכה בלובי משפרת את הרגשתי הפיזית, במיוחד כשהיא מלווה במיץ תפוחים משובח. לחברים שלי לוקח הרבה יותר זמן ממה שציפיתי. מס’ שעות לאחר שנפרדנו, הם סוף סוף מגיעים ומספרים שטעו בדרך, הגיעו לצד הלא נכון של הנהר וכמעט ניסו לחצות אותו ברגל.

אחרי מנות הגונות של עוגות תפוחים מכל מיני סוגים, התפנינו לעת ערב לברנדי ולסיידר. ברנדי התפוחים של מרפה הוא משקה 40% אלכוהול מגעיל וסטנדרטי, אבל הסיידר, הו, הסיידר. זה ללא ספק המשקה האלכוהולי הכי טוב שנתקלתי בו – סמיך, מתוק, משכר כמו יין. אנחנו יושבים שם ושותים – ארבעתנו, מוהון, סובין, קוריאני שאינו דובר אנגלית והפורטר הנפאלי שלו. כולם משתכרים לאט לאט, אני פחות. הקוריאני התעקש להראות לנו המון תמונות בטלפון שלו, כי זו הדרך היחידה שלו לתקשר. סובין הצהיר על אהבתו לבגם שוב ושוב במלים (“איי לאב יו לאמבו!”) ובחיבוקים. הפורטר של הקוריאני מנסה להתחיל עם שקד באגרסיביות הזויה (“בואי איתי לכפר שלי, אשתי תלמד אותך לבשל אוכל נפאלי”) ושקד מצחקקת למרות שאינה מעוניינת, כי זה מה שהיא עושה כשהיא שיכורה.

למחרת, המשך ההליכה פתאום נראה לנו פחות אטרקטיבי. אולי העוגות והאלכוהול גרמו לנו להתפנק. המועצה מחליטה לדלג על המקטע האחרון של הטרק ולנסוע ישר לטאטופאני, למעיינות החמים, היישר לעוד חוויה מפנקת אחרי טרק ארוך ומפרך. אם לא ישבתם במעיינות חמים בזמן שיורד עליכם ברד, לא הייתם במעיינות חמים מימיכם.

טרק סובב האנאפורנה נגמר, אבל כנראה ששבועיים וחצי לא הספיקו לנו – החלטנו להמשיך לארבעה ימים נוספים בטרק הפון היל, שמתחיל מטאטופאני. החלק הזה לא נשמע לי מלהיב כשאר הטרק שכבר עברנו, אבל התבדיתי. לא צריך להיות בגובה ובשלג בשביל נוף יפה. היומיים הראשונים היו עליה מתישה בתוך יערות יפהפיים של עצי רודונדרון (הפרח הלאומי של נפאל, הנקרא בנפאלית ‘לאלי גוראס’) אדומים, ורודים, צהובים ולבנים. סובין הדגים לנו את השימושיות של הפרחים – אפשר לשים אותם בשיער לקישוט, אפשר להעניק אותם לאוהב ליבך (לאמבו…), אפשר לאכול אותם…

בצהרי היום הראשון הגענו למסעדה והתיישבנו לאכול. היינו בלי אסף, שבגלל כאבי ברכיים החליט לתפוס טרמפ על טרקטור ולחכות לנו בגסטהאוס. לכבוד העובדה שאנחנו לא בגובה יותר, אני ובגם החלטנו לשתות כל אחד שליש בירה, הבירה הראשונה מזה שבועיים וחצי. איכשהו הבירה הזו (בשילוב עם הדאל באט המשובח) גמרה אותי לחלוטין. יצאתי מהארוחה הזאת מנומנם לחלוטין, וכששאלתי את מוהון כמה הליכה נותרה עד הגסטהאוס, והוא ענה שנותרו עוד כ-45 דקות, לא היה לי מושג איך אלך את זה עכשיו. אבל הלכתי, זה לא שהייתה לי הרבה ברירה. ואז, אחרי כ-5 דקות הליכה, הגענו לגסטהאוס. עבד עלי הממזר.

בסוף היומיים הללו הגענו לפון היל, לגבעה המדוברת שממנה אפשר לראות את זריחה מרהיבה על רקע כל שרשרת האנאפורנה והדוולגירי הנפרשת מול עינינו. הירידה התגלתה כרצחנית אף יותר מהעליה, לברכיים שלי לקח כשבוע להתאושש מאלפי המדרגות שירדתי ביומיים האלו.

וכך תמו להם 21 ימי טרק. 21 ימים שהרגישו כמו חיים שלמים. אני לא אשכח את הרגע שבו קיבלתי חזרה את כל הציוד שהשארתי בשמירת החפצים ואת ההלם מכמות הדברים המיותרים שהיו שם. בשביל מה אני צריך את כל הדברים האלה, את כל הבגדים הנוספים האלה?
אבל מעבר לזה, ומעבר לנופים, היה משהו משחרר בלבלות כ”כ הרבה זמן בטבע, ובהליכה. פשוט… חופש והרגשה טבעית.

כמה ימים לאחר מכן דיברתי עם אמא שלי בטלפון וסיפרתי לה  שלהפתעתי נגמלתי מההרגל המגונה של כסיסת ציפורניים, אפילו בלי שניסיתי. היא שאלה אותי אם אני שלו יותר. זה תפס אותי בהפתעה, ועניתי שאולי, אני לא יודע, לא ממש חשבתי על זה.

תוך כדי הקשבתי לעצמי ושמתי לב לטון הדיבור האיטי והרגוע שלי והבנתי שאני אכן שלו יותר. חודש לתוך הטיול והוא כבר משנה אותי לטובה.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: